Saturday, November 22, 2008

Pay It Forward



I never saw the movie Pay It Forward but I understand the concept. It's essentially about passing on good deeds, gestures and acts of kindness.

A few years ago I became a volunteer at the University of Chicago hospital--neonatal unit. I was a cradler-- my job was simply to hold newborn babies in the absence of their moms. While interviewing for the job the director, at the time is was Michelle Obama, asked me what was the last thing I'd done out of kindness for someone. It took me off guard as I was not expecting her to ask me when was the last time I'd done something nice for no reason or ulterior motive. I can't remember what I said at the time but I know I was able to come up with something I'd done recently. But ever since then it's something that I think about and I often asks others the same question, "when was the last time you did something nice for someone? Particularly someone you don't even know?"

It's the holiday season now and you're starting to see commercials and articles about giving to the "less fortunate." Feed the hungry on Thanksgiving. Buy toys for tots for Christmas. I'm always conflicted by these ideas. Why give someone food only on Thanksgiving? Do they go back to being hungry the next week when leftovers run out? Give kids a bunch of toys on the day we observe Jesus's birthday but let them go unattended to or cared for the rest of the year? Does not seem quite right. Nor does it seem Christ-centered. We should always give and volunteer no matter the season or holiday.

Some people say, charity begins at home." Meaning you should try to help meet the needs of family members and loved ones before seeking out strangers to assist. I've often done that because it's easier to help people you know. It's more comfortable to help people you know. Instead of bringing backpacks to the church for the Back to School drive I bought backpacks for my one of my cousin's kids. It was nice of me but I should be stretching myself to help others.

I heard on the radio that a town in Colorado was noted because they'd started the trend of paying for the person behind them in the drive thru fast food restaurant. By the time the person pulled up to the drive thru window their predecessor had already paid for their meal. I thought that was really cool. I'd like to do that.

My neighbor has a small, energetic dog very similar to mine. However, her dog, Diva, is a puppy and very, very annoying. Ming hates going outside when Diva is out there. Anyway, Ming is at the groomer today and I went outside and saw Ms. Diva bouncing around in the cold with her short hair cut. It is simply too cold for her to be out there with nothing on. So I went into my apartment and got her one of Ming's sweaters she has never worn and gave it to Ms. Diva. Now she is warm while she is bouncing around annoying me and everybody else in the building.

So the point of this post is to encourage you to think about what and when was the last act of kindness you've done for someone. You and I should remember to ask ourselves that everyday and if we have to think about for too long, it's been too long.

By the way, that's my Ming in this picture. Fresh from the groomer!!

3 comments:

Matrix Mama said...

Thanks for posting this, it's a reflective peice. At first I couldn't think of anything, because I am in the home so much. But then I remembered that I popped some pop corn for my son today and I put some of it in a bowl and served it to my maid. It may not seem like a big deal but in this part of the world NOBODY serves their maids. It even makes maids uncomfortable. Mine looked shocked. If I cook I always cook enough for her, but she makes her own plate. It meant a lot to me to see the smile on her face over a simple bowl of popcorn!

Fab Girl said...

Pay It Forward is one of my favorite movies...gotta love Kevin Spacey...anyway I digress. This is a good post. This is actually how I try to live my life and be concious of my need to be kind in a world that is not always kind. People will sometimes be shocked and want to repay you right away and every now and then I will just say pay it forward. I directly relate it to that movie. You know my friend Larcena that used to pick me up for church, etc. Well she used to do nice things for me out of the blue including groceries, slipping me a 20.00 etc. As anyone who is in school and barely getting by knows this was often a great help. Well, I would often balk at her kindness and tell her that she did not have to do that. She would simply say to me when you are in the position to help some young lady I want you to do the same and that will be pay back enough. I keep that in mind in honor to her as well.

Rushour said...

Great piece. I truly believe that you reap what you sow.

Great article.