Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Superwoman


I am Superwoman
Yes I am
Even when I'm a mess
I still put on a vest
With an "s" on my chest
Oh Yes!
I'm a Superwoman. ~Alicia Keys 2008

No truer words ever spoken. But I did not always believe that.
When people start describing the attributes of a Black Woman
They usually talk about them struggling to pay bills and raise their families are a single mother.
They usually talk about their self sacrificing nature and tendency to neglect themselves.

Those attributes do not describe me. I am not a single mother, I do not struggle to pay bills (glory to Jesus!), and I do not neglect myself.

Well...maybe I neglect myself. Perhaps that is why I am nursing a terrible upper respiratory infection.
You see, I am just coming out of the busiest and therefore, worst time of year as an HR Benefits Manager. The past 5 months have been pure hell at work. Too many projects and not enogh resources or time. And everyone expects it all to get done...PERIOD.

So what did I do?
I put on my vest
With an "s" on my chest
And I did it all...and then some.
Now I'm home nursing a cold that should have been attended to a few days ago.
But that's okay
Cause I am Superwoman.

2 comments:

Rushour said...

WELCOME BACK SUPERWOMAN!!! : )

Anonymous said...

Hope you feel better. You got your hot chocolate? ?If I can recall you were a Swiss Cocoa girl with ?marshmallows and leg warmers...lol