Sunday, February 8, 2009

Just Running Cross My Mind....

If you are on Facebook then by now you have received the requests to complete your "25 Things" or describe something about yourself with just "One Word." Interesting how this kind of chain communicating has moved from your email to Facebook. Well I would like to share with you a few random things that have crossed my mind over the past week or so.

Here goes:

1) Facebook etiquette. You should not get into a fight with a friend of a friend who has made a comment on Facebook. By that I mean if someone makes a comment on a friend's page that you do not agree with, refrain from saying something rude. Remember, you should respect your mutual friend even if their friend is an asshole.

2) I have come to realize that most acts of kindness are selfish. Even in their giving people are selfish because giving is gratifying to the giver so it's ultimately about making themselves feel good.

3) Your friends will want you to be single if they are single, married if they are married or in a relationship if they are in a relationship. This is true for both men and women.

4) It's probably not a good idea to be Facebook friends with coworkers. I mean, it's really going to piss you off when you find out that Tom is really a KKK member on the weekends. Conversely, when you find out that LaTanya is stripping on the weekends. (I'm just saying.....)

5) All men are created equally deficient and stupid. So be careful about commenting or judging your friend's mate because your friend likely has a laundry list of judgements about your's.

6) If you are going to dine at a restaurant with more than just yourself, do not dare nitpick the bill when it comes. Split it equally among the parties even if what you ate was the cheapest.
It all balances itself out if you dine together in the future.

7) Trying to get back in shape or lose weight is most likely the most humbling experience a woman will have. It's a bitch and I cannot believe I am at this point!!!

8) Everyone should try to incorporate 1 or 2 things that Dr. Oz suggests about health & fitness. Buy 100% whole wheat products, avoid anything that says "enriched," and drink beverages that use real sugar versus high fructose corn syrup.

9) People who are sarcastic, passive aggressive or overly opinionated are insecure and/or envious. It simply not worth the energy to cuss them out or set them straight. Let them keep on hating.

10) Although it is 2009, a new century and a new day, I still find it insulting when a black man does not date a black woman. Although I do not mind if a black woman does not date a black man. Admittedly it's my double standard but there are quite simply too many single black women who cannot find a man.

11) If Barack Obama's wife was not black I am fairly certain the black community would not have supported him. Conversely, if Barack Obama's mother and maternal grandparents were not white I am fairly certain alot of white people would not have supported him.

12) Everyone has a right to have a preference but no one has the right to be disrepectful. This may appear contrary to #10 but I already admitted that #10 is my own hang up.

13) There are people who still believe that Black is inferior, inherently less attractive, or undesirable. And I mean there are BLACK people who feel this way.

14) When entering a new relationship you should go in with a clean slate. Do not assign your former's flaws to the new person. But you should always be on alert.

15) I would rather get married and have no children than to be a single parent. It's nothing against single parents or parenting because I am a product of a single parent. However, because I am a product of a single parent I know intimately how difficult and often times lonely it can be. I don't have the strength to take that on.

16) Everyone should have a relationship with God.

17) Everyone should see Slum Dog Millionaire and read, "Midnight" by Sista Souljah. You will fall in love with Indian and Asian people/ culture.

18) Everyone needs a best friend.

19) You have to have good esteem and self image before going "natural" with your hair.

20) Being an aunt and/or and stepmother is for me the best of both worlds.

21) In a perfect situation I would have gotten married around age 28 - 30 then had 2 kids of my own.

22) There is something to be said for attending all Black elementary and high schools with a strong emphasis on culture. You will have the rest of your life to learn about others but understanding of yourself is crucial to your success, survival and sanity.

23) Do not assume that all people have commen sense or courtesy. Sometimes you have to tell others how you expect to be treated.

24) If you do someone a favor do not hold your breath for a thank you or a returned gesture.

25) Some of the people I care most about and are closest to are completely disorganized, irresponsible and will nilly. I wonder what that says about me.

No comments: